Tuesday 22 December 2009

Stickin' It To The Man.

Pictured above: a completely irrelevant photo. But still, I feel, worth posting.

I've remained fairly ambivalent about the whole Simon Cowell/RATM festive bitchfight that has trundled across the public consciousness over the last week or so. As has been pointed out, Cowell is a major shareholder in Sony - Rage's record label - so the original intention of pissing Cowell off and depriving him of cash money sort of fell apart. Not to worry; we'll sling some of the money to charity and hopefully distract attention away from the fact that this is one of the most ineffectual, teenage, paint-my-bedroom-black-and-strop-about-with-a-face-on pisspoor acts of rebellion ever conceived. And that is fine by me. Really, it is. I like RATM, the X-Factor song is complete jank (obviously), Shelter gets some money to help the less fortunate at a cold and snowy time of year. Everyone's a winner except Joe McElderry. That'll teach him to try and achieve a lifelong dream, the prick. But this letter, printed in this morning's Metro, tickled my anger glands and made me shouty. Here it is:

This was about showing that we are sick of the stale state of British music and demanding something spontaneous, exciting and real. I stood up and made a difference this Christmas, to the charts and to the lives of homeless people. What did you do?

Upon reading this, I stood up in the tube carriage. Then I sat down. Then I got up again and began to wander aimlessly about, opening and closing my mouth and making little 'buh-buh-buh' sounds. I may have spent some time making a strangled keening noise, like a fox caught in a gin trap. I think I blacked out for a while and when I came to I was lying a puddle of my own fluids, my shoes had disappeared and my underwear was on backwards. I mean, honestly: pleased with yourself much?

You may indeed be sick of the stale state of British music and you may well yearn for something spontaneous, exciting and real - but how does an eighteen (eighteen!) year old song by an American band even remotely qualify under those criteria? Maybe I'm becoming jaded and cynical in my old age but I'm starting to have serious doubts about the capacity of any musician to act as a catalyst for sweeping social change, or even low grade rebellion. Look at the way the sixties flower children morphed from naked, drug-addled free lovers into grasping, middle-aged baby-boomer fuckheads. Bob Dylan released an album through Starbuck's. Starbuck's, for Christ's sake! Or take Hip Hop; once the authentic voice of a disaffected minority, now largely a vehicle for Fifty Cent's line of personal aftershaves and testicle balms. And as for Rage who, God bless 'em, are really little more than a bunch of swearwords in T-shirts...don't make me laugh my own fucking spine out. Fair do's, they have done a lot of valuable work raising awareness of... stuff, like that thing with those Mexican rebels, the details of which escape me, but their single most famous naughty act to date remains the occasion when Bruno Brooks played the uncensored version of 'Killing In The Name' on Sunday teatime radio. And they weren't even there.

Mr Letter up there reckons he stood up and made a difference. I would respectful
ly suggest that, in fact, all he did was download a song off the internet. That's all. He clicked 'purchase' and downloaded a song. Not an enormous personal sacrifice. Not a strident act of cultural terrorism. I chucked 10p in a charity bucket the other day purely, I freely admit, because said bucket was being toted by three of the most atonal carol singers I have ever encountered. Three West Indian ladies dressed as Santa, singing off-key carols with the grinding relentlessness of the big lorry from Duel. They were great. But does that act qualify me to write snooty, back-patting letters to newspapers, spunking off about how damn fandabidosie I bloomin' well am?

I'll leave it up to you to decide. But really, if downloading a track by an aging metal band is your supreme act of unbridled defiance, and you're futhermore clueless enough to actually feel s
mug about it.... then you're probably a bit of a prick. Aren't you?

I bet that bloke hasn't even downloaded 'Killing In The Name' once. Fucking sheep.

No comments: